Six weeks to Boston. I’ve been training since mid-December faithfully for the race. I’ve enjoyed the bumps and bruises, the aches and pains, the icing and the anti-inflammatories. The training is going great! I feel stronger and faster than I ever have. I’ve done strength training and my core and legs feel powerful.
When needed, I’ve done the I.C.E. injury treatment. I’ve iced my knees, my ankles, my hips, knees again (outer and inner), and can’t forget shins. I’ve compressed almost every part of my body below the waist at least twice since November. Sometimes looking like a mummy from certain angles. And I’ve elevated so many nights, and in so many different ways, that my pillow is having an identity crisis.
But I’ve never followed through on the R. Over the years, if something ached, hurt, or pinched I would run through it. I finally learned after a serious injury last fall that the R. is important, very much so. And because of that lesson, I decided to take this last week off. I had a great run last Saturday (eight days ago). I hit 18 miles at a 7:19 pace. I’d love to do 7s at Boston. But afterwards, a tendon/muscle pain started to pop up in my right leg. I ran Sunday, and got in 4.75 miles before the pain got so bad I had to stop (sharp/stabbing pain in the lower outside area of my leg).
One of my knees has been achy, and then this. Nothing serious, but I listened to the old body and took the week off. It paid off and all of the little aches and pains are gone; my tendons around the ankle don’t hurt and the minor knee thing is better. I feel rested and stronger than ever. But I’ve started to get a bit squirrelly and am ready to get back to it. I’m gonna head to the park today to get in an easy six mile run and see how the ankle feels. I’m a bit anxious and don’t know what to expect. And if it still hurts? Fingers crossed.
The coffee cup is empty - its time to run. Six weeks to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment