Monday, March 22, 2010

Four Weeks To Boston - Back on Schedule

I’ve been on a training schedule for Boston since late December. For the most part, I’ve followed it to the tee; some minor changes depending on the legs.

I fell off The Wagon. Three week sago, I tweaked a tendon and took the week off to let it heal – no biggie. Two weeks ago, the rest healed the tweak and rejuvenated my legs and spirit. I ended up doing recovery miles instead of my routine of speed/strength sessions to make sure the legs were back in order. By the end of the week, I ended up doing 71 miles (my schedule called for 64).

Last week, I went over again. I was supposed to do another 64 mile week, and ended up at 74 - including my speed and tempo runs. I feel great, but know I’m doing too much.

And just this morning I figured out why. I plan on running ultras this year, and have joined a group of long distance runners. Well, they started an unofficial weekly mileage challenge on the website Dailymile.com. I’m kind of competitive. So I’ve been playing along. It really is addicting to see your miles climb while comparing them to other runners in the group.

But I’m done with that nonsense – for now. Back to the schedule, back to focusing on Boston. After the race, I’ll get back to the mileage in preparation for my first 50 miler – the North Country Trail Run. Until then, Boston’s in my sights.

To everyone running Boston out there, I hope the training’s going well and you’re as excited as I am for the run.

No comments: