Monday, April 27, 2009

Thoughts On The Trail Half Marathon

A friend asked me after I ran the Trail Half Marathon what I think about while running the race. I think I jokingly said I count squirrels. But later last night, I really wondered what I do think about. I'm sure I worked out highly complicated mathematical equations or how the Government could save the Financial Markets or how radio waves work - you know, the enlightenment that comes with the bliss of flailing through the woods. I tried to remember and this is all I could come up with.

"Don't go too fast, where's my wife, nice day, root, root, rock, root, hill, should I pass, the car key is making noise, I can hear the girl behind me breathing, can people hear me breathing, keep your form, where's my wife, two (squirrels), did Dave really bring beer."

At about mile six I hit one of the many big climbs and remember thinking just three things; "I'm gonna die here, my f@!#$%* car key won't stop making noise, I'm almost half way there - hahahaha."

At mile nine, I do remember thinking; "I feel pretty good, four to go, I'm holding my pace and passing people, my leg isn't broken, six (squirrels)."

And of course, crossing the finish; "Fantastic! - I did it! - water please."

I'm sure I thought about other things as well. I mean, I was running for almost two hours. I had to be thinking about something besides where to put my feet.

But now that I look back, I just think that the race was great and I can't wait until the next one.

No comments: