Sunday, April 19, 2009

Practice Run for the Trail Half Marathon

I headed to Pinckney Recreation Area for a nice easy run - thirteen miles of the Potawatomi trail. No, I didn't just come up with the idea. I figured since I was going to run it on the 26th for my first trail half-marathon, I better get a feel for it - and it felt great.

This trail is up down, up down, throw in about two dozen switch backs, and a few more big climbs at the end. Sprinkle some roots and rocks about, and a little muck - good trail.

Anywho, the run was more like a jog, but speed wasn't the goal - information was, and I learned quite a bit. This trail is not to be dealt with lightly, it is to be taken cautiously and with respect. But, that doesn't mean that it’s not fun. In fact, it was a trail that I'll do more before it’s all over with.

Paula and I hit the trail about noon with 70 degrees pounding on us. We took our time, and still passed some other runners, some hikers, and a lot of pooches. The trail wound through the park, meandering around lakes, camping areas, fields, and mostly forest areas. It offers wider areas to pass, but others offer no opportunities. The climbs are difficult - with two extremely so. The first comes at about mid way through the run, and the second at almost the end. There are two spots for water - a hand pump with refreshingly cold H2O. The trail, in all, is 18 miles, but offers many "short cuts" with signs and routes that are easy to follow - if you use intuition and common sense.

The "Poto" Trail was fun to run, and I look forward to the race on Sunday. We'll see how it feels with 1000 other people running at the same time.

1 comment: