The plan was to meet up at some parking lot outside of Island Lake Recreation Area at 6:45am to hit the yellow loop. Then drive into the park and meet up with the less-crazy people at 8:00am. And then run some more.
The early bunch was going for 50 kilometers for the day, the rest of them were going for anywhere between 10-20 miles, and I needed to get in at least 18 miles; I had to get my mileage in by 10:15am. I opted to run early and was hoping to get over 24.
I woke up at 4:30 – wide awake, like it was a race day. I was excited to get started. I coffeed-up, got my gear together, and headed out for the hour drive to the park. I even got there ten minutes early (so I went to the gas station to get more coffee and ended up getting back last).
The day was just right; clear and chilly, but with the promise of warmth, sun, and trails ahead. The lakes were shaking off their sleep. The mist was lifting, evaporating for the day. And while dispersing, sticking gently to all of the spider webs that Farra would soon be running through.
I looked through the darkness to get a head count, 1 -2- 3- 4- 5 -6 -7. Seven people out this early Easter morning. Seven of us sneaking away from our sleeping families to take this opportunity to run with some friends. Introductions were made – “Greetings and Salutations”, Farra, Kyle, Kai, Martin, Matt, and Andrew.
And off we went with Farra in the lead…
P.S. This was my first run with the group. I was looking forward to it and was not let down. These guys are a bunch of good people and they made the run something more. And, I was glad to be a part of Kyle’s crossing over to the really dark side as he tipped the 100 mile mark for the week during the run (and went on to do a total of 31 miles for the day).
No comments:
Post a Comment