What a great experience. This was truly high up on my list of things to do before I die – and it was all I thought it would be. I enjoyed the trip from beginning to end; the drive out East, spending time with friends and family, the race experience, and the wandering back home.
Although I didn’t do quite as well as I was hoping, time wise, I did soak in the excitement and festive atmosphere of the event. I took full advantage of the Expo (very big, crowded, and not many deals) and the pre-pasta dinner (sat outside in the wind and rain and ate cold, icky food – but free beer!). I staked out the drive for the morning of, to get me there fast and in time (went right to the park and skipped the buses altogether). Hydrated and kept warm before the race started. And when the gun went off, I headed to Boston.
The race was great; so many runners and spectators during the entire course. The crowds were alive and cheering and the volunteers were expert. I hit my time at the half, but fell from grace at the 14 mile mark. By mile 18, I slowed too much to make up the time loss and decided to take the rest of the course easy and enjoy the people. After that point, it was a lot of hand slapping with the kids watching, smiling, and sucking in the mood of the race.

The CITGO sign was exactly as I expected. I knew that after I passed it, the road would soon lead me to Boylston Street and the Finish line. The people were going crazy with cheers and support, every racer that had reserves left kicked it into high gear, and I watched the last miles from my vantage point – some runners whipping by, some walking or limping, some waving their hands to get the crowds riled, and some doing the same as me.
Soon enough, the Finish Line was in view and the race was over. It ended as all races do; a blanket, water, a banana, a finisher’s medal, and a lot of “Good Job”s. For me, it was more than the end of a 26.2 mile race, but years of dreaming, months of training, and hours of running to accomplish The Boston Marathon…
Ran the Boston Marathon on Monday, April 19th 2010
No comments:
Post a Comment