Well. I finally raced the bike. I've been riding for over 15 years, mostly solo. This year, I started to ride for Rochester Bike Shop; a local Rochester bike shop with a bunch of good people working and riding there.
I planned to do a bunch of races this summer, but with the rainy spring, the leg issues, and running races that I was already signed-up for, the bike racing has been less than expected.
I do have a few races this summer planned, though. And, the first race was the Stony Creek XC Marathon. This was a long race for my first one; even signed up as a beginner, I was racing over 30 miles of single track. I wasn't too worried, since Stony in on my home turf and my AS-R was performing nicely.
I must say that I was going into this race with a lot of questions and a few expectations; most questions I found answers to and some of my expectations were less than I had hoped for.
Since I've done more than a few running races but no MTN Bike races, I only had the running to go off of. But, I did learn some important lessons; 1. no aid stations on the route, you're on your own for everything, 2. get to the race early, the organization is a bit lacking, and 3. be prepared to be aggressive on the single-track, people won't let you pass until they don't have a choice anymore.
I also noticed that, because of the difference in starting and finishing times between the beginner, sport, and expert riders, the hanging out with other riders is limited, to say the least.
The race itself was a tough one. The directors did a great job making sure the route was up hill the entire time (or, at least it felt that way). It was all trails, and mostly single track. We started at Westbranch and a steep climb into the trail system, a drop into some single track and a long climb of single track followed by a great decent that worked its way to the double tracks following the parameter of the park. We followed this straight into the Pines.
It wasn't too wet, but still had its share of muck and mud. I love riding the Pines because it really does offer a great fast tech. area; one where you can go all-out the entire way, pop out the end, and then say to yourself "lets do it again". But I didn't say it during the race - I knew I had two more loops to go.
After the Pines, we hit the parameter two-track around to the right and took it straight through the middle of the park into the mouth of the Serpent - switchbacks all the way up to the Roller Coaster for a drop in and a great ride all the way through until hitting the two-tracks once again for a quick ride around the parameter loop towards the main trail head.
Just about a 1/4 mile away from the head, we took a sharp right, into some more single-track; hitting the main trail. We followed this for a bit before taking a right toward the double hill - one of the biggest climbs in the park. And, at the top turning left and left again onto yet again more single tracks towards the starting line.
At this point, you are able to see the tents and the spectators and the start line -
Then onto the second loop...
Time for a banana.
1 comment:
Finish it already! How could you leave me hanging for so long!?!? Waaaa!!
Post a Comment