It was challenging, it was long, it was 26.2 miles at race pace, and I was hot and tired at the end. And, it was a great race.

I thought I would just write about the race itself - for the people who have run it, they will relate. And, for the people thinking about running it, they might get some insight. Bayshore really puts on a awesome experience from start to finish.
I do have only nice things to say about the race (and here I need to say that I'm not the only one; everyone that I talked to before hand said that the race was one of the best). My wife and I signed up early because we had heard that if fills up pretty quick (and it did). If you're thinking about running it, don't wait. The pre-race information was abundant and correct, and the race directors sent out emails throughout the year, keeping us up to date - very cool. The packet pickup location was easy to find and easy to navigate (but no real expo to speak of), the tech shirts were cool (I've been wearing mine for 16 days straight now) and they even gave everyone a pair of "Bayshore Marathon" socks (I had to take mine off after 10 days).
The race course is on the East side of the Grand Traverse Bay peninsula, with awesome views of the East Bay for the majority of the time. It is an out and back on the same road for the full, and a drop off at the half way point for the half-marathon, so we were able to see the halfers and the full marathon elites running toward the finish line on our way out - very cool, especially if you know people in the half and want to get some high-fives. The start is pretty packed but by mile 2, everyone is spread out enough to find their own pace. The run is quite flat and fast with people cheering you on at every turn. But, the finish line is the keenest part of the course; the marathon ends on NWU's track. You have to finish the race by completing 3/4 of the track loop with people crowded on both sides watching, crossing the finish line directly in front of the bleachers - very cool.
Now, I've only done one other marathon, so forgive me if this is common (it wasn't so at the Detroit Marathon). The Bayshore had water stations every 1.5 miles - very, very cool. They offered both water and Gatorade, with GU at several stations. The volunteers did a fantastic job of making you aware of what they were holding, and when GU was going to be available. I even passed a kid handing out GU but he wasn't quick enough to hand it to me without my stopping, so I kept going without it. Ten seconds later he was running by my side handing me a packet - I'm gonna buy that kid a beer when he's old enough.
And, after the race, if you want to soak your legs in some COLD water, well there's the Bay. Yes, a whole Bay of really, really cold water for all those achy legs. And, after your shower and nap, the RunningFit store downtown plasters the windows and walls of the shop with photos of runners from the race - if you find yours, you just grab it and run. We headed into town afterwards to one of the good restaurants, got a burger and a beer, and counted people wearing finisher medals and smiles.
Bayshore was a good race. Oh, yea, I almost forgot. They had Coldstone icecream at the finish!!!!!!!!!!! That in itself was worth the distance.
No comments:
Post a Comment